Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Tofu Scramble & Randomness

Today was my first experiment in cooking with tofu and actually it turned out very delicious, even though I made something super-simple. For my main course, I had tofu scramble. Mmm... I honestly thought it was scrambled eggs for a split second. :) Now, feel free to throw in any ingredients you have on-hand. I didn't have any peppers or mushrooms so I was kinda suck with onion. :)

Scrambled Tofu

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 16 oz. block of firm tofu
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce

DIRECTIONS:
1) Drain the tofu and press it, using paper towels. Then crumble it using your clean hands.
Photobucket
2) Sautee the garlic and onion in olive oil on medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
3) Stir in the crumbled tofu then add turmeric, salt, pepper, scallions, and soy sauce.
Photobucket
Looks like eggs! Whoah!

4) Cook with tofu for 5 more minutes, stirring often.
5) Serve as an egg dish or with salsa and burrito wrappers.

Photobucket
Mmm... delicious!

To add to my meal, I also made some stir-fried asparagus, which is as simple as olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Photobucket

The final product:
Photobucket

And...last but not least, I made curried zucchini chips as an appetizer, which is something I kinda made up and throw all kinds of spices on.

INGREDIENTS
- 2 (or more) zucchini
- olive oil (for brushing)
- Salt
- Pepper
- Curry
- Paprika
- Garlic Powder

DIRECTIONS
1) Preheat the oven to 400
2) Take a large, flat oven tray and lightly brush it with olive oil
3 ) Cut the zucchini into thin slices and place them onto the tray
4) After all the chips are placed, take a small brush and cover the the tops of the chips, lightly, with olive oil.
Photobucket

5) After the zucchini is covered, take the spices (or make alterations, to taste) and sprinkle them loosely over the slices.
Photobucket

6) Bake for 15 minutes, then check and flip. Bake for another 15 minutes or until the chips are slightly browned at the edges.

Photobucket
Voila!

Bear in mind that the zucchini shrinks a lot in baking so I would recommend using at least 2 thin zucchini per person.

No comments: