Saturday, May 3, 2008

Introduction

About one week ago, I decided to make a drastic change in my eating habits and, essentially become a vegetarian. I say "essentially" because some of my habits are more pescaterian and some are downright vegan. I have cut out all meat from my diet with the exception of fish or seafood, but I try to severely limit my intake of those to my must-have foods such as sushi and fried calamari (drool...). Meanwhile, I have stopped consuming milk, but still eat cheese, and I do not eat eggs or egg-based products. I also do not drink any diet-sodas and basically stick to tea, coffee, water, beer, and wine.

I must say that the change has been easier than I had imagined. The first day or two, I felt kinda strange and I actually got a headache (which I read is most likely my body "detoxing"). But after that, I have felt great. My energy levels have increased, and I feel like my taste buds are more sensitive. Best of all, this has allowed me to try so many different foods that I probably would not have had otherwise, and it has inspired me to cook more and experiment more with food choices.

My primary reason for switching to a veggie diet has been a book called The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell. In it, a renowned cancer researcher posts his finding of a 20-year nutritional study that compares diseases with nutrition - primarily focusing on China where the rates of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer are so much lower than in the U.S. His research, along with the research of many other reputable schools - such as Cornell and Oxford - points to the overwhelming benefits of a diet rich in plant foods and whole grains.

I suppose the reason behind this blog is to document my food, struggles, and observations, and I start to fit myself into this particular way of living. I'm sure there will be recipes, meal substitution ideas, and much more. So bear with me as I explore the wonderful world of natural foods. :)

No comments: