Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tofu Loaf

Last night for dinner, I really wanted a hearty meal - something to hit the spot. Since I didn't eat much throughout the day, and kinda felt like baking, I decided to attempt making a tofu loaf. Although it didn't turn out quite "loafy," I thought it was utterly delicious.

Ingredients: (Serves 4 people)
1 lb. Tofu, Firm
1 cup Dried Bread Crumbs
1/2 medium White Onion
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
4 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoons Italian Herb Seasonings
1 teaspoons Pepper, Black
1/2 cup Carrots (I used 1 cup of canned mixed veggies since I didn't have anything fresh)
1/2 cup Celery
(I also added a long squirt of Dijon mustard, which was probably overkill and contributed to the consistency problem)

Photobucket
Some of my ingredients. The asparagus and chopped garlic were served on the side.

Instructions:
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Drain and press the tofu for about 15 minutes.
Photobucket

3) Dice up the tofu and put all the ingredients in a food processor, except for the carrots and celery.
Photobucket
How gross does THAT look?

4) Blend until smooth. Add the carrot and celery, and blend in the tofu mixture.
Photobucket
Looks like hummus!

5) Put in a greased loaf pan and bake for one hour.
Photobucket
Don't mind the white stuff, just some excess seasoning.

Now, while this loaf was baking, I fried up the asparagus and made some (instant, boo!) mashed potatoes. When it came out, I was sooo starving, and it smelled sooo good that I completely forgot to take a picture of it, or of my delicious looking, full plate. The best I could do is this, which is clearly after I had already taken my share.

Photobucket

The only major problem with this loaf was that, although it doesn't look like it here, it's texture was actually that of mashed potatoes. It was definitely not slice-able. Also, it was a bit too pungent for the normal person (at least according to my boyfried). I'm not sure how I could modify the recipe for next time. I would definitely omit the mustard, and probably add a tiny bit less soy sauce. The tofu might have to be a bit drier, as well.

It was very good though and I would DEFINITELY make this again. As a matter of fact, it's my lunch today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just tried your recipe for dinner and it was amazing. I truly enjoyed it!