Thursday, April 16, 2009

Southwestern Couscous

I made this delicious dish for lunch tomorrow. I had planned on fancy Cajun-rubbed portabella mushrooms with an avocado cream...but alas! My Vegenaise was expired! I then had to scramble to make sure I had some proper food for tomorrow...a more official start of my cleanse.

Photobucket

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous (I used tricolor)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (I used water with 1/2 a garlic bouillon cube)
- 1 1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- a dash of ground cumin
- 1 15oz. can of black beans
- salt/pepper to taste

Now...here is where things got a little fun. Since this was a last minute plan, all I could add to this was fresh avocado. In the future, I would certainly make sure I have some corn kernels, green onions, or peppers on hand.

Directions:
- Bring broth to a boil and stir in the couscous.
- Cover the pot and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, and cumin. Add beans and the other vegetables. Toss to coat.
- Fluff the couscous well, and add to the bowl with the dressing/beans.
- Mix well (breaking up any couscous chunks) and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serves:
1 large portion or two side servings.

No comments: